Turmeric has natural anti-bacterial and anti- septic properties that has been traditionally used in various parts of the world (India, Middle East etc) for medicinal as well as skin treatments. Being a natural liver de-toxifier it is no surprise that turmeric helps the skin as well, Of it’s many uses for the skin the main are:
1. Sooth and calm Acne
2. Help with pigmentation, Acne Scars and Age Spots.
3.It also helps suntanned skin return to its normal shade faster.
4. Continued use is said to help reduce abnormal facial hair growth!
5. Lends a glow and softens the skin
How to use it
You can apply turmeric topically on your skin or ingest it (or do both!). There are many ways to use turmeric on your skin. What I love the most is :
1) 15-minute mask with Honey, Mix turmeric powder with honey and make a thick paste. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash off. The turmeric will sanitize your face and together with the honey give you a quick pick me up!
2) 15-minute mask with Lemon Juice, Mix turmeric powder with cucumber juice (for eye area) and lemon juice (for acne affected areas) to make a paste. Apply to the affected area. Leave on for fifteen minutes. Rinse off. With daily use, skin pigmentation will even out.
4) Mask with Mint leaves/Orange Peel and Yogurt: Mix turmeric powder with ground orange peel or mint leaves and then add some yogurt and make a smooth paste, apply this to the scars or the whole face and let it dry, rinse off and repeat regularly ! surely you will notice some changes! ( Mint leaves are said to have great affect on Acne scars)
3) Mask or cream (with natural oils). If you have dry skin with acne or pigmentation you could opt for a turmeric infused oil mask:
Just add some turmeric powder to a natural oil of your choice in a small bottle (use a clear or see-through bottle so you can see when the mixture separates in the next step). Shake well. The oil will immediately turn an orange or a deep yellow and will look ‘cloudy’. Leave this bottle to stand overnight. The next day, the turmeric powder would have settled at the bottom and you’ll get a beautiful, clear orange oil at the top for your use.
Take a small amount of this turmeric-infused oil and rub it into your skin or face thoroughly. Leave on for at least 30 minutes (longer if you feel comfortable) and wash off.
Natural or Herbal solutions often work better than most products and are side effect free, though they do take consistent efforts over a period of time!
Turmeric stains so make sure you have gloves on while doing the mixing to avoid stains on fingers and nails !
Also be sure to use only a pinch of turmeric or else it is difficult to wash off ! I agree that is inconvenient but worth it in the end!